Various special examinations can be performed in a dedicated examination area
- Fluoroscein angiograms
- Used to examine pathology of the retina. The patient eye is injected with a dye called Fluorocein. This colours the blood vesels in the eye. By means of photography, any leakage is picked up. The leakage will then be treated.
- Corneal topography
- This test is used to provide information on the cornea, specifically on its curvature. We have a computer program which analyse the cornea surface. A colour interpretation map helps the ophthalmologist pick up corneal diseases and irregularities and to correct astigmatism. It is also a important examination to provide measurements for establishing data to calculate the power of the intraocular lenses and to do refractive surgery.
- Fundus photography
- Fundus photography is used to establish the condition of the retina, macula and optic nerve. Diseases like glaucoma and macular degeneration can be tracked by this method
- This is used to describe the measurement of the hills and valleys of the cornea. Again this information is used to determine the power of the intraocular lens to be used.
- This method is used by the doctor to examine the retina and vitreous of the eye. He uses an ophthalmoscope (direct or indirect) to perform this test.
- This is usually part of the examination for glaucoma. It examines the anterior chamber angle – that is the part of the eye that directs the aqueous humor produced by the eye
- Optical Coherence Tomography
- The abbreviation for this examination is the so called OCT. By using this technique one can get cross-sectional images of the retinal tissue. BY means of this technique, early signs of defects of the retina can be detected and therefor treated timeously. Important diseases picked up with this technique are macular degeneration, retinal diseases and glaucoma. Also useful for providing information for refractive surgery (Excimer laser).
- This technique is used to measure the pressure within the eye. Useful in screening patients for glaucoma.
- Visual Field testing
- This test is used to check a patient’s peripheral vision. The measurement of visual fields at regular intervals gives on an indication of disease progression for various eye diseases, e.g. glaucoma as well as retinal and optical nerve problems.